Sunday, July 1, 2018

A Rainy Walk, Flags, Family History June 18 - 30


A RAINY WALK



A Rainy Day Walk
We meet the owner of the boat.  He and his wife are traveling the length of the Erie Canal which will take them several weeks.  You can also see a long 4 man row boat if you look across the Harbor.  We tackled lots of Geese droppings to walk over and get a closer look but it started to rain hard so we didn't get a close-up photo.  A group of High School boys are rowing down the Erie Canal this summer.



FLAG DAY CELEBRATION
The temple missionary couples gathered to celebrate Flag Day.  I got roped into singing a silly song about the day to day work of the missionaries.  It makes a little more sense if you realize that your are all dressed in white to work in the temple.  So there is a lot of changing cloths as you come and go. 
Singing  "The Temple Shuffle"
(Tune: Hokey Pokey)
You take your black shoes off - You take your black socks off - You take your black skirt off
And you shake it all around
You fold it kind of crazy and you stuff it in a bag.
That's what it's all about

You put your white socks on -- You put your white shoes on -- You put your white shirt on
And you smooth it all around
You check for dirt and wrinkles just in case it touched the ground
That's what it's all about

You put your white sweater on - You Put your wrist watch on -- You fill your mint supply
 and you hide it really well
You fold your daily schedule in a clever little way
That's what it's all about.

You check your family cards -- You check your recommend -- You look into your purse
And you move things all around
You hope to find some lip gloss and mint for later on
That's what it's all about.
We were also quite patriotic, sharing our love of country and stories of military service.  And We also singing many a wonderful, heartwarming song in remembrance of those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom.
God Bless America!

SMITH AND WHITMER FARMS

We have managed to see the Smith Family Farm and the Peter Whitmer farm on our days off.
Whitmer Farm with Elder and Sister Barlow
There is a sweet spirit that rests on these important and beautifully preserved sites.  Friday, June 30th we had dinner out with some other couples.  Our waitress was friendly and kind.  She told us that she recently bought an old home south of Palmyra where a branch of the Whitmer family lived.  She knew the history of how the Whitmar father was religious and toiled to build the Presbyterian Church up the hill.  She thought the Whitmer's had owned (perhaps built) the home she bought.  I smiled as she said that the home just had a good feeling about it, that Palmyra had a good feeling, and how no bad thing could ever happen here.  I had to agree that there is a sweet spirit about the area.  I guess that should not be a huge surprise when you realize the miraculous things that happened here.  I have felt the spirit testify to me that we live in a new dispensation, that Christ's church has been restored, that prophets are again upon the earth to guide us.  That started here in Palmyra.  God and Christ visited a young boy and called him to service in His kingdom.  Here is an excerpt from Joseph's history.  You can read it complete here.


Image result for palmyra lds temple pictures"....I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation."


Whitmer Farm Log Home where Church was first organized
Sister Pickup and Ashlynn Arnett, served in Palmyra with Rachel.
 We met at the Smith farm Visitor's Center




















DISCOVERING THE HUNT AND PHILLIPS FAMILY - Ancestors


This journey started on Monday, June 25th.  We were supposed to go to Watkins Glen State Park, which looked simply beautiful, but Ray was suffering from a pretty bad head cold and I wasn’t feeling too spry myself. Not sure if it is a virus or allergy but we have been using decongestants, rubbing Vick’s on at nights, and using saline mist to keep our sinuses clean.  
But back to the Hunt’s and Phillip’s families.
Being home on Monday I decided to do some family history work.  I had been working on the Ford’s but felt impressed to move to another line.  Through my mother’s Hunt line—Phillips— and then back to Hunt.  I opened a document attached entitled
Miscellaneous Early Families
Lawrence Township, Mercer County, New Jersey
It was filled with valuable information about the Hunt and Phillips families.  I spent a fair amount of time gathering information on the Philip Phillips family and his son Abner and was able to find addition children and prepare their names for the temple.  I carried the names to the Temple on Tuesday morning where Ray and I were assigned to the baptistery.  A family came without their own family names and were able to perform 10 baptisms each thus completing ours and others.  It was a small miracle.  Later, that day I was assigned to initiatory and was there able to complete that work as well.  By the end of Wednesday Abner’s wife and children were prepared to be sealed as a family which work I was joyfully able to assist with.  In my research I was looking for the marriage of Abner Phillips.  The document mentioned that he was married on Dec. 3, 1740 but his wife is never mentioned by name.  I researched New Jersey for a marriage record but failed to find any.  Along the way, I discovered that many New Jersey vital records had been destroyed in the War of 1812 when the US capital was burned.  At that point I determined a record may never be found and decided to create Abner’s wife as Mrs. Abner Phillips, in the hopes of discovering her true name in some journal or record.  But for now, the family is sealed together.  Many of the children had already been entered into family search and so I was able to combine them together.  I am anxious to get back to the record and complete the other families recorded there. 
Major Woodward and John Hageman were truly inspired to gather what information they could about the residence of their county.  This source is a remarkable gem and I feel blessed to have discovered it attached to an ancestor. 




Anniversary Flowers
41st ANNIVERSARY   - June 29th 
We rested well the night before after working 3 days of double shifts at the Temple.  These were blessed days but we found ourselves resting deeply between shifts.  On our anniversary, Ray went to help the Barrett’s with some computer and phone issues.  I cleaned the apartment and then walked to their place, about 2 miles away.  It was a lovely morning with a gently breeze. 
A few weeks ago, I wrote my testimony in a Book of Mormon and have been carrying it around hoping to give it to someone, as directed by the spirit.  I realize I am inexperienced in hearing and responding and so I have been trying and practicing.  As I left for my walk, I felt impressed to go back for the Book of Mormon which I did.  As I walked, I tried to sense if anyone I met might be ready to accept it.  I came upon an older man taking a walk around the block.  I introduced myself, as did he, and we began visiting.  He said he had met other temple missionaries in the past but did not seem  too friendly or talkative.  We parted ways but then felt I should go back and find him.  I had promised the Lord that I would try and follow His direction so I turned around.  I did not see him right away and thought I had lost my chance but then he came into view.  I caught up with him and asked if he would be interested in a copy of the Book of Mormon.  He quickly refused.  However, we talked a bit about world conditions and I was able to bear testimony that God can help bring peace and end the chaos. He was not convinced.  However, I left confident that I had completed my assignment from the Lord.    
After working with the Barrett’s we headed to Newark to get the oil changed on the car and do the laundry.  Then off to celebrate our anniversary.  We did a little shopping, went out to dinner at Chili's and then home to get some rest as we were scheduled to work Saturday morning at the temple .


THE HOUSE OF THE LORD

I have been reading “The House of the Lord” by James E. Talmage.  It has been educational to learn about ancient and modern temples.  I am about half way through and just learning about things around the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple.  I was moved by an epistle sent by the First Presidency on March 18, 1893 to the Officers and Members of the church encouraging them to prepare for the dedication on April 6th.  There was still quite a bit of work to do to complete the temple so I was expecting a call to arms.  But what I found was more remarkable.  

In part it read; “We shall divest ourselves of every harsh and unkind feeling against each other; that not only our bickerings shall cease, but that the cause of them shall be removed, and every sentiment that prompted and has maintained them shall be dispelled; that we shall confess our sins one to another and ask forgiveness one of another; that we shall plead with the Lord for the spirit of repentance, and having obtained it, follow its promptings; so that in humbling ourselves before Him and seeking forgiveness from each other, we shall yield that charity and generosity to those who crave our forgiveness that we ask for and expect from heaven.” 

Oh what a great and holy place would be our homes, our neighborhoods, our communities, our nations, if such advice were again strictly followed. 


Ray & Lynnette Wedding Day
June 29, 1977





2 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up on reading your blog. So fun. I especially love all the personal connections you are having there! -Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There seems to be daily connections. Sometimes hard to keep up on. Love and miss you, Mom

      Delete