Friday, December 21, 2018

Concerts, Service, Hastening Work, Dec. 10 -17


Nabrotzky Women's Choir



Monday, December 10th

For FHE we had Sister Nabrotzky and a women’s choir come for a Christmas Program.  It was delightful. So talented and generous with their time.  I conducted FHE.  Ray was kind and complimentary of my efforts but his comment “You know you really don’t need to be nervous when you conduct.” threw me off guard and made me worry about how I came across.   Oh my, sometimes my feelings are so fragile.  I really need to get a grip.

Tuesday, December 11th

The Temple Presidency have created a statement regarding ways to improve the patron experience and stay focused on the ordinance.   Change can be hard for some but, honestly, nothing is really different just a re-emphasis on helping the spirit dwell in the temple and improving the reverence.  Or in other words, improving the ability for all to feel God’s spirit while there.  
Ray at the gym

 
Wednesday, Dec. 12th

We went to the gym this morning, then cleaned, laundry, made dinner, and had an activities meeting at 3pm.  Dave gave a most tender prayer to start things off.  It set a powerful tone for our discussion and within an hour or so we had things mapped out and planned through the first week in May.  Afterward, we ate dinner together (lasagna, salad, corn, bread).  After clean up we decided to watch a Christmas Movie.  We settled on “The Man Who Invented Christmas”.  We had popcorn and Root Beer Floats while Dave polished his and our Sunday shoes.  He is amazing and so full of kindness and generosity and service.  A great example to all of us.

Thursday, December 13th

My beautiful polished shoes.  An act of love and service. 
Ray saw the Orthopedic Dr. today.  He said that the MRI showed that the right shoulder is arthritic and the tendons inflamed.  Intervention will be determined on pain levels.  The PT seems to be helping.  
I had to resist the urge to be irritated by the front staff that were joking and visiting when we arrived and didn’t stop to help us until they had finished.  Then there was no appointment.  But in the end it was a good visit.
We did a bit of shopping at Walgreens’ and Wegmans and Walmart.  The toys arrived for the giving tree so we got them ready to take tomorrow. Our shift at the temple was great, uplifting, and inspiring.  I came across this scripture in D&C 128 that sent chills up my spine as I thought about how it applies to the temple.

22 Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their prison; for the prisoners shall go free.

23 Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your Eternal King! And ye rivers, and brooks, and rills, flow down with gladness. Let the woods and all the trees of the field praise the Lord; and ye solid rocks weep for joy! And let the sun, moon, and the morning stars sing together, and let all the sons of God shout for joy! And let the eternal creations declare his name forever and ever! And again I say, how glorious is the voice we hear from heaven, proclaiming in our ears, glory, and salvation, and honor, and immortality, and eternal life; kingdoms, principalities, and powers!

I was thrilled by the announcement  regarding age changes for youth progression and ordination. I felt shear joy and confirmation of God's hastening work.  What a marvelous time to be alive. 

Sunday, Dec. 16th

We have been opening our 12 days of Christmas gifts which brings much Christmas cheer into our home. 
Today at church we continued to work on the Christmas Program for next week.
I noticed that Andrew was visiting with Alex during SS in the hall. Later, they went to class but it appeared Alex was disruptive and soon Mom & Dad had some words of instruction (Alex you are to stay with your father the rest of church) I asked if it would be OK if Alex helped with the chairs today and set up for next week.  And was dad ok staying around so he could do it now. They agreed.  I spoke directly to Alex and got a commitment that he would be at church early next week.  He confessed that he is usually the problem and agreed to be ready on time.  Later, he called to me as we were rehearsing.  He asked.  “Is your other half here today?”  I told him yes, Elder Pickup is here.  “Do you think he would teach me a lesson on  Family History?”  I assured him that Elder Pickup would be happy to help him and that he was in Priesthood meeting if he wanted to go and ask.  He didn’t move immediately but when I looked again, he was gone.  Ray seems to have a special connection with the youth.  Later, I found out that Alex did find him in Priesthood and they spent the rest of the meeting time working in the Family History center. 

 Victoria was there with her two children; MacKenzie and Paul.  As the children were dressing in their nativity outfits, MacKenzie was found running all around the chapel.  I stopped her and kindly explained that this was not recess or a gym.  She quickly said, Yes it is, see the  basketball hoop.  She was right but I explained that on Sundays this was a chapel where we worship.  She seemed to understand this and was well behaved the rest of the time.  Paul struggles more.  It is nearly impossible to have a reasoning conversation with him.  He pulls away and hides under the chairs, etc.  He did ask for paper and pencil so he could write down math problems. (remember he is only 5-6)  I was happy to provide. 

We stayed for “pass-a-dish and sat with Victoria, Paul, and MacKenzie.  Paul and I talked about food mostly.  And decided that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are delicious.  He invited me to his home for some.  (cute).  Then he told me about the toys he likes to play with.  Followed with “Will you come to my house and play”.  I responded that that sounded fun.  Next came the declaration that I was to come today.  I told him I wouldn’t be able to come today and he got a huge frown and told me I was no longer his friend.  I feel sad for these two little ones.  Mom is young and inexperienced.  She is quick to get after them and is at her wits end most of time.  The children seem starved for love.   I do love them but I worry that we will be leaving in 5 months and hope that a more stable friendship can develop in the Branch. 

Sunday evening we went with the Bonds to the Smith Farm for an ‘Old Fashioned Christmas’.  It was well presented.  We started in the Welcome Center with the Sister missionaries caroling then watch The Nativity.  We went to the log cabin where a missionary couple were dressed as Joseph and Lucy Smith.  They read Luke 2   Then we walked and caroled to the frame house and learned about the Christmas story from the book of Mormon.  Then more caroling and off to the barn where we learned a country dance.  Lastly, back to the basement of the Welcome Center for hot chocolate and cookies.  I remember feeling the Christmas spirit in the log house and a warm happiness throughout the evening. 


There were several young families in our group.  As we walked toward the refreshments, I wondered if there would be any spilled cocoa.  Sure enough as we were selecting our cookies, a young boy spilled his drink on his chair.  Dad was trying to clean it up and manage the other children as well.  I remember those days.  I grabbed some napkins and helped soak up the cocoa from the fabric. It did not take long and soon everyone was enjoying their treats. 





No comments:

Post a Comment