Thursday, February 7, 2019

A Week of Contrasts, Jan. 29 - Feb. 6




Jan 29th—Feb. 6
Can you see the big icicles connecting to the bush


This has been a week of contrasts. 
Dripping Icicles in front of our door Feb. 2, 2019 
Quite an ice overhang from the gutter - about 12 inches. 
We could use some heat tape, don't you think? 
Ice and snow all gone.  Feb. 6, 2019
First the weather.  Temperatures dropped below freezing due to a polor vortex.  I’m not sure the cause of this but I have seen and felt the effects.  The temple closed for Wed. and Thurs. as exposure to the cold was dangerous and road conditions unfavorable.  Ray and I kept warm and comfortable in our apartment, grateful for insulation and a reliable furnace.  Edges of the apartment felt chilly (like were I sit to work at the kitchen table, next to the wall) but a good sweater and socks was all that was needed.  Ray made cookies and delivered them to neighbors and went shopping.  He said he got along fairly well until he had to return the shopping cart to the store and on the way back out to the car, he complained that his face started to hurt due to the frigid air.  After that we just stayed inside.
Jennifer and Jessica had even colder weather (-26).  We worried a bit about them and called with instructions to park in the garage and put extra winter gear in their car.  Lucky for them, they park under ground at work and did not have to be exposed to the cold.
Contrast to the weather 5 days later as we gathered with the temple presidency and temple missionaries for a farewell luncheon for Karen and Merlin Lindsay.  


What a contrast in weather.  Over 60 degrees.
The extra time at home gave us an opportunity to work on our family history.  I smile at the great joy this has brought to our home especially, Ray.  He delights in finding his kindred dead and I can’t help but feel it is a fulfillment of his patriarchal blessing and that there is also great rejoicing on the other side of the veil.  Painfully, someone has made some unkind comments about this and thus the contrast.  This caused me to reflect upon ways I need to change so that I do not “interrupt their rejoicings” (Alma 30:22)  or rather the rejoicings of those I serve.  I was reminded of an experience I had years ago while attending the Portland temple with my mother-in-law Louise and sister-in-law, Susan.  An ordinary session became memorable and joyful as the spirit filled my heart with love for these two daughters of God.  I rejoiced in the glimpse I received of their worth and divine nature.  How grateful I am that on that occasion no temple worker distracted from that experience.  Instead, they created an atmosphere where the spirit could dwell.  
I am beginning to see the blessing of the Lords counsel “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” (Matt. 7:1) When we attempt to expect others to experience life as we do we often become critical and short tempered.  And may likely rob ourselves and others of an opportunity for the spirit to touch their hearts and enlarge their understanding.   
Certainly, the comments made by a dear friend have interrupted our joy and rejoicing in family history work.  But it does not need to follow that that interruption will be permanent nor the friendship damaged beyond repair.  Satan would like nothing more.  Forgiveness and forgetfulness can restore joy and peace.  Goodness and mercy will follow.
The danger is when our over-correcting or in-sensitivities create wounds that do not heal.  Where Satan can get a foot hold.  Oh that I may be always in tune with the spirit that I may never be the cause of opening that door.

Sunday we had our first lesson after church for Temple Preparation.  Andrew Sutherby and Helen Butler were there.  I taught about the Plan of Salvation.  I hope their hearts were touched and that the spirit was able to testify.  I am grateful to see Andrew in the temple baptistery frequently.  As he bore his testimony Sunday about the sweet experience he had while watching other young men from Somalia learn and participate in the sacred ordinance, I rejoiced in the the great work of gathering Israel from all around the world. 

Ray and I have increased our time spent in scripture study, conference reports, etc.   As I fell asleep last night, I felt the warmth of the spirit deep within my soul and treasured the comfort it brought as I wondered off to a restful nights sleep. 


~


John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

~

Joshua 1:9

    Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. 

Lindsay Farewell Lunch
President and Sister Miner and others
What a fantastic and celestial group


No comments:

Post a Comment