Monday, January 28, 2019

Thunders of Heaven, Jan. 22 - 28















The Tongues of Seven Thunders

At the dedication of the St. George Temple on Jan.1, 1877, President Young said "What do you suppose the fathers would say if they could speak from the dead? Would they not say, 'We have lain here thousands of years, here in this prison house, 

waiting for this dispensation to come?' . . . What would they whisper in our ears? Why, if they had the power the very thunders of heaven would be in our ears, if we could but realize the importance of the work we are engaged in. All the angels in heaven are looking at this little handful of people, and stimulating them to the salvation of the human family. . . . When I think upon this subject, I want the tongues of seven thunders to wake up the people." The quote was on pages 63-64 of President Nelson's book, Accomplishing the Impossible - What God Does; What We Can Do. It was taken from Discourses of Brigham Young, (John A. Widtsoe, 1954, pages 403-404).


Tuesday, Jan. 22nd

We arrived to find Aiden Stilson (11yr old deacon from Hornell) and his mother and grandparents.  Aiden was there to do baptisms.  He is such a great kid and so full of joy and love this morning as he waited to perform this marvelous work.  I know this will set his heart and eyes toward heaven and the power of eternal things.  What a great thing for his mom to see to it.  I was so proud of her.  It is not a quick and easy thing to travel 80 miles one way to perform these sacred ordinances, but, oh, so worth every effort.

Wednesday, Jan. 23rd

Come, Follow Me Personal Study   John 1:1-18
I made a list of truths that John listed as he began his Gospel.  

  • He created all things
  • He was with God from the beginning
  • He is light
  • We all have a part of that light in us
  • He would be rejected by His own
  • He gives power to those who receive Him
  • He came to earth
  • He is life and truth
  • He is full of grace and truth
  • He is like the Father
  • We can receive of His fullness: immortality and eternal life.

The manual asked us to consider writing our witness of Jesus Christ.  Using John’s list as a prompt I will share some things that came to mind:

Immortality & Eternal Life    
As I grew up in Basin City, WA, it was not uncommon for funerals to occur.  Perhaps I was more aware of them because our family was hired to clean the church.  My mother insisted on a spit-polish should there be a funeral (or baptism or wedding) in addition to the shine we gave every week for the Sabbath.  So I attended, I would guess, more funerals than most.  The plan of salvation was taught and testified of as part of the services.  With a tender heart I absorbed and came to understand God’s plan and felt the reassurance that there was a reward in heaven; immortality and eternal life.  These were made possible only through the atonement of Jesus Christ which He completed out of love.

He is Light                                    
During my teenage years, I felt insecure, lonely, sad, and unloved.  One day,  I decided to sneak over to the chapel.  I remember sitting on a back pew and staring at the picture of the Savior that hung behind the pulpit.  After a time of tears, I came to feel His love sink into my heart.  Light replaced insecurity and I was lifted to press forward.  A very similar time happened as a young mother following a long and earnest prayer.

He created all things                    
In 2007-08 I was asked to teach seminary.  The course of study was the OT.  I came to see the great power of Jehovah studying the many events in the OT.  When Jennifer and Jessica were in their car accident, I remember praying and pleading, sharing my understanding and knowledge that God had all power.  I knew this and knew that if it were His will he could heal and repair the tragic scene that lay in front of me.  As I plead with Him, a sweet comfort filled my heart.  I had no idea what the outcome would be, but I knew He was watchful and all would be as He desired.  That peace helped me face life-flight, clean-up, etc. with strength. It helped me see the miracles that surrounded us.

He gives power to those who receive Him. 
There are many example of this.  I have felt lifted and directed through motherhood, various callings, being a wife, being a good neighbor, making decisions at work.  One of the most memorable examples of physical power happened around a Pioneer Celebration.  I was serving on the Stake Activities committee and was in charge of the Stake Celebration.  This required a great amount of energy and effort.  Saturday night following the clean up, I came home plopped down on the couch and announced to the family that I was not moving the rest of the day.  They rose to the occasion and prepared dinner, etc.  Sunday morning, I awoke achy and with a terrible headache.  I wasn’t sure what to do.  I knew I was just exhausted and not contagious in any way.  I prepared to go to church.  I gathered the children and we headed early to choir practice.  As we sang, I began to feel better.  As I played the organ for Sacrament Meeting, I noticed the headache was nearly gone.  Between SS and RS, I passed the Stake President in the hall.  Jokingly he said, “Well, if anyone had a good excuse to not be here today, it would be you.”  However, by then I had regained all my strength.  I felt vibrant and strong with no lingering soreness, headache, weariness.  The Lord had given me power.


Saturday, Jan. 26th


Friday, the temple missionaries were asked to come early for their evening shift (3pm).  A group from Southern Virginia University were arriving by bus and wished to come to the temple. The President asked us to provide an extra endowment and baptistery session. 
They were a glorious group.  Ray and I were asked to help in the baptistery then we remained there for our regular shift.  The baptistery is a wonderful uplifting place and we enjoyed our time with many wonderful patrons, some coming for the first time.  Oh what joy fills their faces and hearts as they participate in the saving work of the temple.  


We came home late Friday night to a puddle of water under and in front of our kitchen sink.  We mopped it up and discovered a leak near the faucet connection.  We turned off the water and notified Susan, the landlord.  She was quick to respond and the repairman came Saturday while we were at the temple.  So we came home to a  new faucet.  

Saturday found Ray back in the baptistery and me floating through all the ordinances.  In the afternoon I worked in the office.  It was busy without any breaks so I was grateful I had a small one in the morning.  


Sunday, Jan. 27th


We woke up to an unexpected few inches of snow.  Just enough to make the roads treacherous on our journey to Hornell. Along the fields was particularly hard as the wind blew the snow across the road creating white out conditions.  We had to detour around an accident just before Canandaigua.   
Helen called earlier to say the snow was blinding in Wayland.  But she was ready when we arrived about 10 to 10.  It was a bit slow getting to Hornell and we arrived 30 minutes late for church.  By the time we left it was sunny and the road mostly cleared so coming home was no problem.
Ray and I have been asked to teach the Temple Preparation class starting next week.  We know Helen will be there but not sure who all the other students will be.  








No comments:

Post a Comment