Monday, September 3, 2018

Thousand Island, Hornell, Corning, & Parades August 12 - 18




August 12, Sunday

Gladiolus from Sister Doyle, Hornell Branch
FLOWERS
A sweet sister from the Hornell branch decided last summer to plant 60 Gladiolus bulbs for the shear joy of giving the flowers away to anyone she thought might enjoy them: stranger, friend, family.  She discovered that it wasn't enough so this year she planted 200 bulbs.  However, I still don't think she is satisfied.  I'm guessing her whole yard might be a gladiolus garden next year.  I was so grateful I got to enjoy a bouquet.  My mother used to grow gladiolus so this had even more sentiment.  

ECUMENICAL DINNER
After our Sunday meetings,  we headed to the Baptist Church to help prepare, serve, and clean up the Ecumenical Community Dinner.  The numbers were low today.  It is always sad to prepare to feed 50 and have only half that many show up.  However, all 50 bags of 3 cookies were snatched up.  No wonder, they were all homemade.  I made and brought cowboy cookies.  In addition to others bringing snicker doodles, oatmeal cookies and brownies.  We finished preparations early so I took the opportunity to sit and visit with three guests.  I found their stories to be heart warming and heart wrenching.  Dick is deaf but has a joyful personality.  We tried to talk a bit but my sign language is sorely lacking. He was kind and patient and managed to get in a few jokes now and then.  He is over 70 but looks about 55.  Currently living in his van while searching for more permanent housing.  He had lost a daughter in her childhood.  Oh how I wanted to share the joys of the plan of salvation with him.  We did talk of heaven and God and he seemed to have a deep hope  of being with her again.
Guests at the Ecumenical Dinner
The other gentleman was about the same age and very easy to talk to.  He shared part of his story and spoke about how he had also lost a daughter in a car accident. Such sad tales.  But again I felt his strength and courage. Before leaving, I discovered that he played the violin and we made a packed.  He would bring it to the next meal and we would try our hand at a duet. Their goodness lifted my spirits and my soul.   


a rather hot and humid day

WRONG ROAD
Ray and I began reading “A Lion and A Lamb” the story of Willard Bean.  So after we read our scriptures together on the way to church, we read from this book.  I began reading as we left town so I wasn't paying much attention when Ray asked if he was on the right road.  I glanced but didn’t really look carefully before I mumbled, “yes”.  Once he said he didn’t remember driving next to the freeway, I ignored it enthralled in my reading.  Finally, Ray got my attention.  As I looked around, I realized that we were no where familiar.  Out comes the phone, google maps, and we discover that he has been heading due East.  We live North East from Hornell.  The good news is that we hadn’t gone too far and were able to make the necessary adjustments to head north along a finger lake and made it home without much delay.


August 13 ALEXANDRIA BAY - THOUSAND ISLAND
The Beautiful waters at Thousand Islands

Qualifies as an island - sustains a tree
How would you like to own this island?
Today the 12th Month missionaries had an outing to Alexandria Bay to see the Thousand Islands.  It was a most pleasant day.  I have to admit that I had never heard of or paid any attention to this phenomenon.  I found myself fascinated by these little islands popping up everywhere in the Lawrence River. Many were just big enough for a small cottage.  Many mansions were seen along the route.  My favorite detail was not one we saw but one we heard about.  There was a beautiful home with many waterfalls around it.  One waterfall was routed to go under the dining room floor that was made of glass.  The image made me smile and wonder just how fun that would be.
Power house for the Boldt Castle
We saw many boats, water skis, water trampolines and climbing walls anchored near the homes.  The water was so clean.  No littering or dumping, or gas powered boats.  Steep fines keep people honest about this and the result is the most beautiful water way. 
We stopped at the Boldt Castle on Heart Island.  Even in the heat we enjoyed the beauty of the castle and grounds. 
Boldt Castle Library - Hansel & Gretel carvings around the fireplace 

MIRACLE
willard-and-rebecca-bean.jpg (477×720)
Willard and Rebecca Bean

Before heading home, our car folks stopped at an ice cream shop.  Just as we were finishing up, Mark Barber exclaimed that he was missing his right hearing aid.  As he reflected on when he had noticed it last we determined that it was lost sometime after we got off the boat.  The group gathered around on the sidewalk and said a prayer then scattered in different directions to hunt the pavement and retrace the steps from the boat to the rest room to the ice cream shop.  I asked at the ticket counter if anyone had turned it in.  No.  The road way and sidewalks did not reveal it either.  But it wasn’t long before a happy Elder Barber was coming back from discovering it in a sink in the restroom.   Apparently, it had slipped out when he bent over to wash his face.  We gathered again to offer a prayer of thanksgiving.  The rest of the miracle is that the hearing aid worked, even after several people had washed their hands and faces over it.  God is good!


TEMPLE BLESSINGS
I had a rather "down" week and had been praying to feel God's love and joy. I was grateful for the peace of the temple that followed the very next day.  I left feeling buoyed up and strong again.  I continue to be amazed at how quickly God answers my prayers.  I am grateful for the joys of service, the reassurance of covenants, and the blessings of the priesthood. 




Corning Glass Museum - one of my favorite glass works
Corning Glass Museum - amazing glass models

August 16, Friday - CORNING MUSEUM of GLASS


Corning Museum - ugly glass sculpture
Corning Glass Museum was fascinating.  We got to watch them blow glass, learned the history of glass in the world dating back to the Egyptians, looked at glass art and spent most of our time in the invention area which included windshields, lens - big and small, fiber optics, corelle ware, etc.  I was made aware of how much glass is part of our everyday lives. 































BIKE RIDE & PARADE
new storage for our bikes
Ray and I rode our bikes out to the Sacred Grove and went by President Blacks for cucumbers. 
Corning Glass Museum - Mosaic and Jewlery
When we got home we cut a piece of cardboard Ray got at Sear’s to fit in the bedroom bay window and set our bikes there.  They just fit and it is nice to have them out of the way.  Rather clever I would say.

Walked the 200 feet from our apartment just in time to see and hear this fun band.  Aren't their uniforms the best? 

Palmyra Parade - always love the bands


No comments:

Post a Comment