Saturday, October 13, 2018

Fall Foliage, Labors, Geese, Graves, Oct. 8 - 13





Monday, Oct. 8th

Bristol Mountain
Bristol Mountain


















BRISTOL MOUNTAIN
We rode with Bonds to Bristol Mountain and joined other couples to take the Fall Foliage ski-ride.  The colors had begun to turn but were not in their full glory. However,  the day was warm and dry and beautiful.  We ate our lunch outside on the picnic tables then took a leisurely stroll to enjoy the beauties around us.  Sister Lindsay and I gathered leaves of all colors.  We both saw how beautiful the chorus of leaves were but when we went to gather individual ones each had its flaws.  A bit like the human race I’m afraid. Glorious to behold together yet none of us perfect.  I thought about the leaves on the trees of the temple stained glass.  The artist states that the leaves represented the Children of Israel.  I suppose these fall leaves could do the same.



Bonds have been so kind to share their Deseret and Church News with us.  We have a running joke about how Elder Bond feels pressure to get it read so he can leave it in our mailbox.  Truth be told, I think the pressure comes because a new edition arrives every few days.   
In the September 2nd Deseret News “Voices” page there was an editorial ‘No work is insignificant’ . 
Ray and the children would tell you that as the children grew up I could be heard to saw things like, “I don’t care what you choose to do, just do it well.”  Or in my more frustrating times I might say  “I don’t care what you choose to do, just don’t be an idiot.”

So I had a good chuckle when I read a quote from this newspaper article credited to Martin Luther King, Jr.  “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry.  He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.’”




Tuesday, Oct. 9th

View on the Bristol Mountain Ski-ride.
I have taken the challenge of President Nelson to take a fast from social media for 10 days.  That hasn’t been extremely hard.  And also to read the Book of Mormon by years end.  I thought it fun that my ward, daughter, and friends have all given me charts to mark my progress. So quick to respond to the call of a prophet. 

In addition to my scripture study I have been reading ‘The Wright Brothers’ by David McCullough.  I quite like the way he writes and I am enjoying the book when I find a moment or two to read.  

NOTE: When I was in high school, I had a chance to take a computer class.  This was much different than what you might think of today.  The computer was as big as a room and was housed at the community college in Moses Lake, WA.  At Connell HS was a punch machine we would use to create punch cards.  Each card was a line in the program code.  We would punch out a stack of cards, someone would haul them to Moses Lake, they would enter the cards into the computer and the computer would spit out the results on a print out.  Then the print out  and cards would come back to Connell HS and we would look for errors, make corrections, prepare a new stack of cards and the process would start over.  Sometimes we would write math formulas, sometimes a design.  I remember one student was set on earning enough money to own a Rolls Royce so we wrote a program that would print out the logo. What was interesting about this was that one student, Bart McKay was full of ideas, I could not think of anything.  But most of the time Bart’s program had mistakes.  I was great at correcting the mistakes.  So together we made a pretty good team.

As I was reading about Orville and Wilbur Wright I found this description of them that seemed to reflect my own experiences.
 "Many men are better fitted for improving chances offered them than in turning up the chances themselves.” 



 The early part of the week was warm so we tried to get as many bike rides in as we could.  We found some geese playing and diving on the canal. (best if viewed full screen)


Beauties along the Erie Canal Trail
The light green is Algae growing on a stagnant pond along the trail.
Bonnie Hayes, Director of Palmyra Historic Society
Ducks along the Erie Canal

Annual Palmyra Cemetery Walk


Saturday, October 14

 The temple was full today which is such a joy.  4 of the 5 sessions were beyond capacity.  4 own endowments through out the day.  Baptistery was busy as well with the YSA ward and new converts attending, a wedding and several initiatory patrons kept us all happily busy doing the Lord’s work.

In the evening we went with the Bonds to the Annual Palmyra Cemetery Walk.  It has turned bitter cold...OK 40 degrees. But it feels cold compared to the 70 degree weather we have been having.  We bundled up and walked through the cemetery with a rather large group.  From time to time we would come upon a vignette of someone buried there who told their life story.  There were all kinds of characters.  Several surrounding the civil war, a policeman, Churchill, General Cornwall, and even E. B. Grandin played by some site missionaries.  It was all done very well with good costuming, props, and microphones so you could hear.  Besides getting cold, I enjoyed it very much.

A favorite as I continue to learn the lessons of the temple.
Doctrine & Covenants 78:17-18
Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;  And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment